Do you have problems getting literacy and math Workshops into your day? I wanted an efficient way to get everything in my day, math, literacy, handwriting, art and games. I wanted the kiddos to work independently and learn how to problem solve. Workshop was my answer. Check out all of the advantages of workshop!
I no longer do math centers and literacy(reading and writing ) centers separate any more. It took up too much time and there never seem to be a separation of one center to the next. I combined everything into Workshop. It is more efficient and I can cover all of the material. I still do mini lessons as a part of my teaching day, but the student work in my workshop. There is seldom a day that I don’t have a Workshop set up in the classroom, even on party days. Read all about how to set up workshop here!
Advantages of Workshop Set-Up
- It is sequential-all students start on job 1 and end on Job 6.
- It has a visual component so the kiddo can see an example of the job and all jobs are modeled.
- All materials needed to complete a job are set-up below the visual sample. When the kiddos complete the job all materials are returned to their place.
- A workshop ticket is used as a job incentive and teaches kiddos to be accountable for each job.
Advantages of having Workshop in your Classroom
- The kiddos move through the jobs at an independent work level without idle time.
- When students may be called out of the classroom for some small group work or therapy, they return and resume the job they left.
- There is clear and explicit explanation for each job and it can be linked to the mini-lessons taught.
- There is a variety of activities each day and it keeps the kiddos engaged-Math, literacy, games, art projects, handwriting, writers workshop and unit themes can all be a part of Workshop.
- Workshop allows the students to move from job to job that is purposeful and engaging.
- Each job is checked by the teacher and corrections can be made immediately.
Advantages of Workshop for the Children in the Classroom
- Problem Solve
- Work independently
- Work with other children.
- Make something
- Talk with others
- Work on something new each day in a sequentially learning style.
GET STARTED WITH WORKSHOP FOR FREE
Give Workshop a try in your classroom, you will be happy with the results. Look for my Workshop Set-Up in my TPT store, it’s free.
Leave a Reply