Are you looking for better classroom management in your kindergarten room? One of my favorite tips for kindergarten classroom management is having table captains. Table captains were one of the best things I implemented in my teaching career. It had an amazing impact on my classroom management of my kindergarten room and cut down on the chaos significantly!
Kindergarten Classroom Management – Table Captains
Table captains are the kids in charge at the table. I kept my table captains in charge for an entire month, this can obviously vary based on your situations.
- The table captains concept is introduced to the class and explained at the beginning of the school year (or as soon as you are ready to implement them.)
- Table captains are in charge of getting the community property for their table including markers, crayons, paper, etc for their table .
- Table captains always go first for table games.
- Table captains always make sure things are in check, including making sure the table was cleaned up and returned.
- Table captains change each month. I keep a book to make sure that everyone has a turn being the table captain. The kids never let me forget when table captains need to be changed up.
- Each student has an opportunity to be the table captain throughout the year. When everyone has had the opportunity to be the table captain we would roll dice to see who would get to be the captain again.
Most importantly, the students LOVED table captains. They took their responsibility seriously, and everyone in the class understood the table captains role. If you need to lessen the chaos you must try this for your kindergarten classroom management!
Leave a Reply